Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Free Reading Leveling System!



Yep, it’s that time of year again!  It’s time to spend countless hours assessing the students reading level.  Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s really important and it helps you have a better understanding of your students as readers. I know what you are thinking, we've been in school for 6 weeks and you're not finished leveling your students.  Keep in mind, I have 65 students and it takes a REALLY long time with that many students.

So, what leveling system does your district use?  When I first starting teaching, the district I worked at used DRA.  I liked it!  Then, I switched districts and they were using Rigby. No Bueno!  Rigby totally stinks, or at least the leveling kit we were using really stunk!  Sorry, I’m just being honest! The district finally came to their senses and decided to purchase Fountas & Pinnell’s leveling system, which I’ve used before and really like too.

If you are looking for a good leveling system, I have a solution!  I’m sure you’ve heard of Teacher’s College @ Columbia University Reading & Writing Project, right?   Well, they have their own leveling system; take a little gander at this.  What’s even better…it’s FREE!!!!!!!  Well, free from levels L-Z.  They include the running records for levels A-K, but you’d have to purchase the student books.  It’s really simple to use and they include the instructions.

I hope this helps!



blog signature photo Blogsignature_zpsbaa03b4f.png

No comments:

Post a Comment