Thursday, June 20, 2013

Is Teaching Worth It?

Have you ever asked yourself "Is teaching really worth it?" Sometimes I wonder if this is really what I'm meant to do with my life.  I put in so many hours at school & home, neglect my own family and I'm completely exhausted most days.  And, if I have to hear someone say "Yeah, well you get the summers off" one more time, I might actually punch them in the face. (Ok, not really, but I'd be thinking it) Am I the only one who feels this way? Is it really possible to be a passionate teacher without sacrifice?  If you have the answer, please share!!

Is teaching worth the sacrifice?  The answer is YES, it is worth it, but you have to be reminded every now and then.  At my school, the 5th grade teachers give the students an optional assignment at the end of the year to write a letter to one teacher (it can be anyone K-5, interventionist, specials teacher, ect...) that has made an impact on their life in elementary school.  Last year, I received a letter from a sweet young lady, who I had the privilege of teaching in both 3rd and 4th grade, that she loved my class and I was such an inspirational teacher (WOW!).  On the last FULL day of school, I walked to my mailbox and this is what I found...
Not one letter, but 6 letters from former students who took the time to write me a letter and tell me how much they loved my class.  This right here is why I do it! Yep, it's worth it...you just need a little reminder sometimes!

In case you haven't been told lately...You are AWESOME!!!!
blog signature photo Blogsignature_zpsbaa03b4f.png

No comments:

Post a Comment