Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tried it Tuesday-Experiements in Reading

It's been a while, but I tried something new and thought it would be the perfect time to link up with Holly @ Fourth Grade Flipper!


We are working on procedural texts, so I decided to give the kids a little science experiment.  Does an orange float or sink?  I gave each table the materials and instructions.  They had to follow the steps in the experiment and write what they observed.  Here are a few pictures...






Afterwards, we had a brief discussion about density and how the peel contains air pockets which helps give the orange a lower density than water and the orange will float. When the peel is removed from the oranges its density is higher than water & it sinks to the bottom.

Next, I gave the students a group assignment.  They had to teach the class "how to" do something.  I explained that they couldn't go out and buy anything to complete their "How to".  It must be something they could do using the materials within the classroom.  I gave them a few ideas like...a dance move, paper airplane, origami star, throwing a football (thank goodness no one did that one!)

Here are a few of the "How to" posters they came up with...

The students quickly realized that they were missing a few key important details like materials they need and steps that were missing.  I explained to them that they had to think of their "audience".  It's easy for them to do these things because they know how to do them, but what about those people who didn't know how to do it?

Overall, they did a great job and had a good time doing it!  There was one group who created a "how to" do the hokey pokey.  It was so hilarious!  I even had a few kiddos who hadn't heard or done the hokey pokey, so of course we all had to get up and do the hokey pokey!

If you're interested in trying out the orange experiment, you can download a copy by clicking here!



blog signature photo Blogsignature_zpsbaa03b4f.png

1 comment:

  1. I really like this. My students just did "how to" draw a snowman and the kids had to draw from someone else's instructions. I borrowed the idea from Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings. I will need to try this next. Thanks for sharing!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete