Sunday, November 10, 2013

Spark Student Motivation-Stamp Card

I'm a little late, but I'm linking up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for her weekly Spark Student Motivation.


This year, like many of you, we starting using Class Dojo at our school.  


In years past, our district used an "expectation card" for the teachers to note any off task behaviors and each week the parents were required to sign it. Now, there are pros and cons to Class Dojo.  Let's start with the pros. 1. You can download the app on your phone, which makes it super easy to gives those points.  2. It allows the teachers to give "positive" points, so parents will know that their little darling is doing well in class and not just off task. Now for the pros to Class Dojo.  It requires to parents to login to check their student's report.  Now, it should be fairly easy if they download the app, but not all parents have downloaded the app. Also, I know not all parents are checking it because I can see who's checked the report. This past week, I had 4 parents check their child's dojo report and some parents haven't checked it since September.  I'm going to be honest, I don't check my own child's report each week....oops!  Mom of the Year!

Here's the motivation for my students...a STAMP CARD!

I wish I could say this was my brilliant idea, but it wasn't.  When I joined the team, this type of reward system was already in place and I'm not sure which brilliant teammate came up with it.

Using the class dojo report, the students will receive a row for each "positive" dojo point for that week.  If the student happens to receive any "negative" dojo points, then we subtract the negative points from the positive points to determine how many "rows" they receive for the week.  I collect their stamp cards each Monday morning before I reset the bubbles and give them their points for the previous week.  We will also collect these cards any time we see a student going above and beyond. Some teachers use those cute little crayola stampers, but I don't want to bother with that.  I will usually just initial the row or box.

Students can turn in their "boxes" for rewards in the classroom.  At the beginning of the year, we brainstorm some "rewards" they'd like to receive.  My partners and I decided which "rewards" to include and the point value of each reward.  Here are a few of the rewards the students can receive...

If you're interested, click here for your own stamp card and here for the rewards.


blog signature photo Blogsignature_zpsbaa03b4f.png

No comments:

Post a Comment